Recent media coverage of automotive defects and recalls has heightened consumer awareness about the safety hazards of car defects and malfunctions. As automobile manufacturing is becoming increasingly stream-lined and cost-efficient, it appears car defects and malfunctions are becoming increasingly prevalent. While most defects have relatively mild repercussions, others can be extremely dangerous, and result in serious injury or even death.
Common Car Defects and Malfunctions
Frequently reported automotive defects and malfunctions involve the following:
- Seat belt defects – A defective seat belt can cause occupants serious injury. In some cases, they may not lock on impact, consequently causing the occupant to lurch forward and potentially incur injuries from contact with the steering wheel, dashboard, or windshield. In other cases, the seat belt may cause chest injuries if they lock prematurely or do not have any give at all.
- Brake malfunctions – Brakes are the most crucial components for car safety. Defective brakes can compromise a driver’s ability to stop, a problem which can cause a wide array of accidents and injury.
- Sudden acceleration – A more recently reported defect, sudden acceleration occurs in some vehicles with a faulty mechanism. Essentially, the vehicle accelerates rapidly and the brake system fails. Sudden acceleration has resulted in the wrongful death of dozens of drivers.
- Airbag defects – If an airbag fails to deploy in the event of an accident, a driver/occupant may incur injuries from impacting the steering wheel, dashboard, or other hard objects. If an airbag is too sensitive, however, it may deploy when it is not necessary, potentially injuring the occupant by breaking their nose or other facial bones.
- Child car seat defects – Defective car seats can put children occupants at an increased risk for injury in the event of an accident. While car seats are intended to minimize their risk of injury, if they have a defect or faulty design, they may be more dangerous than using no seat belt at all. Additionally, proper installation is mandatory for car seats to perform their function.
Manufacturer and Distributor Liability
When an accident occurs because of a car defect or malfunction, victims of the accident may be eligible to receive compensation for their losses, including:
- Medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Pain and suffering
- Property damages
- Wrongful death
Depending on the circumstances surrounding the accident, the vehicle’s manufacturer or distributor (or both) may be liable for damages. When someone enters a legal encounter, they may need an accident law firm to help provide some legal guidance and knowledge about the case. For this reason, many employ the service of a trained professional who ought to have hands-on experience when it comes to fighting any accident cases, such as Hartman Law Firm. They have lawyers who can give solid guidance and they help their clients put forward a reasonable argument about receiving compensation.
Most accident law firms should have good knowledge and experience in winning out accident cases. There are specific grounds on which these firms are well-established at, thus, getting their services are simply the right option. They ought to can heighten the chances of being awarded the compensation. Also, they will perhaps be able to offer tips to the client about what strategies or information could be effective use in court.